- What is ECM?
- Who is it for?
- What do I need to install it?
- Does ECM run on Windows?
- Do I need a web server to run ECM?
- Can i run ECM on my shared host/xyz?
- Why should I go through the trouble of installing/configuring/managing ECM when I can use an existing service?
- How do you add permissions so members can see the standings page and corp tax contributions?
- Why Python? Why not PHP/MySQL/<insert fav here>...?
- I would like to help, but i don't know "Python/Django/..."
What is ECM?¶
ECM is a management and decision-making helper-application for the game EVE Online. By aggregating data in an easy-to-use interface, it simplyfies corp management and provides unparalleled transparency for your corp. Have a look at it's Features
Who is it for?¶
Corporation executives will love the simplicity of managing a vast userbase, but once it's set up, it will be useful for your whole corporation. You can read our rationale for creating ECM to get a clearer picture.
What do I need to install it?¶
- Any OS that can run the python / Django dependencies.
- Python 2.6 (not 3.0)
- Django 1.4
- Recommended: Apache / A WSGI capable server.
See these Installation Instructions for a step-by-step guide.
Does ECM run on Windows?¶
The short answer: maybe. We recommend that you use ECM with Linux as installation and configuration is a lot easier. That being said, at least the 2.0 release has been successfully deployed on a Windows installation.
Do I need a web server to run ECM?¶
Not necessarily. Django can act as a web server in debug mode. You can set your ECM instance to debug in settings.ini which is located in your instance folder. This might come in handy if you plan on running ECM just on your desktop. By default static data is supposed to be served by a web server though.
Note: We strongly advise against using ECM in debug mode for a production environment.
Can i run ECM on my shared host/xyz?¶
Maybe. It depends on your host and if you are able to install the Python, Django and the 3rd party libraries ECM depends on. If you are on a shared host and get ECM running just drop by the forums and tell us your success story :)
Why should I go through the trouble of installing/configuring/managing ECM when I can use an existing service?¶
1. You have full control over your corporation data. Alternative services exist but most of them depend on providing your corporation / director key to a 3rd party.
2. The project is open source. You can improve and change ECM the way you want, no questions asked.
How do you add permissions so members can see the standings page and corp tax contributions?¶
Go to the url: http://mysite.com/admin/common/urlpermission/
There you can modify the titles that have access to urls.
Why Python? Why not PHP/MySQL/<insert fav here>...?¶
Because. Without getting too much into the holy war that is PHP/MySQL bashing: Python is a lot more fun to code (subjective) and Django - esp. the ORM - does a lot of the work for you (fact).
I would like to help, but i don't know "Python/Django/..."¶
There is a lot of stuff to do which does not involve coding at all like testing (booooring) or giving your input on certain features (fun!). Join us on IRC, any help is appreciated: irc://irc.epiknet.org:6667/#ecm